Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Car talk

Tomorrow is my day to stay home from work. If the HR person is amenable, I may be spending part of it at an interview: the job I applied for this morning she wrote to me about this afternoon (about four hours later) to say they'd like me to come in for an interview this week if possible. I may or may not actually get the job but it was a very nice ego boost to read it, and tomorrow would be a wonderfully convenient day to go in if she doesn't mind the short notice. I wish I'd checked my e-mail on my lunch hour (I'm not supposed to, but my motivation to obey their strictures is not high right now).

Also, Lisa, the Grand Cherokee owner, called today finally. She began, "I've decided that I'm not going to drive around town for you. I called [my insurance company] and [the dealer she got her quote from] and [my insurance company] says [the dealer she got her quote from] is an authorized dealer and [the dealer she got her quote from] says the bumper can't be fixed, it has to be replaced. So you need to file with your insurance company and get this taken care of." I said, "If it's okay with you, I'd prefer to skip insurance and just give you a check directly." She said, "Oh!...Okay! Well, anytime in the next few days is great." I suspect someone taught her that the best defense is a good offense.

I told Mom and Dad about the above news, and Mom said that I should file a claim with my insurance after all because my deductible only applies to fixing my car, not fixing other people's. Eric recommended not filing because the increase probably still wouldn't be worth it. After some hunting around on the Internet, I think I agree. Insurance is, apparently, only for catastrophes (or when it's the other person's fault). So I will drop off the check (made out to [the dealer she got her quote from]) tomorrow. And maybe someday I'll get my car repaired, but first I've got a lot of dinners out not to eat and several books and movies not to buy.

No comments: