Monday, November 02, 2009

The unutterable tragedy of instant oatmeal

"What are those?" my coworker exclaimed, looking up from rifling through the Halloween candy someone had brought in and noticing my butter tub.

"Oatmeal," I started to say.

"Oh, walnuts," he said, sounding relieved. "Did you put those in there yourself? Or did it come with them?"

This is the second time someone at work has commented on the fanciness of my oatmeal, which I have every weekday morning (unless I made muffins or something the Sunday before). It's not that hard: two-thirds of a cup of Quaker old-fashioned oats, a spoonful of brown sugar, a handful of Craisins, and another handful of walnuts or almonds. Obviously, today was a walnut day.

I used to bring in the packets of instant oatmeal. But I got tired of the flavors and the cost, and read that you could make your own--then read that putting boiling water on regular rolled oats works just fine. Now I put hot water from the coffeemaker spigot in and microwave it for forty seconds, and it's almost like cooking it on the stove, which is how I like oatmeal best (but never get anymore because eating oatmeal five days a week is enough so I never make it at home).

Anyway, I understand why people ask me where I bought my fancy oatmeal. But it's sad just the same.

3 comments:

koalabear100 said...

You're such a killjoy. Next you'll tell me that chocolate milk doesn't really come from chocolate cows.

Seriously though, great minds think alike. Granted I'm putting walnut bits and dried cranberries into my *instant* *maple and brown sugar* oatmeal, but the Costco pack came with a lot of the maple and brown sugar ones.

Carol said...

Hello, I'm back to reading blogs! Is this my 15th reunion or something? Anyway, this is just to say - great minds indeed! That's my "instant" oatmeal recipe too. Yumma. Next step - how to make Alton's overnight crockpot oatmeal. So far I have both burnt and undercooked it. Hm.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.