Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Level 3 snow emergency!

Eric shoveled last night. He did. However, this is what our front yard looked like this morning:



The snow was blowing horizontally last night--I've never known snow to hurt before--and I knew I'd be late coming into work today. When we got up, though, it didn't seem so bad. Part of our driveway, true, looked like this:



But the middle of it looked like this, just because of the wind:



So we went out shoveling. Well, since we have only one shovel, Eric went out, and then I took a turn. While I was making a path to the road (no easy feat), Eric came out and yelled, "Come back inside! There's a level 3 snow emergency." A level 3 snow emergency, for those not in the know, means "All roadways are closed to non-emergency personnel. No one should be out during these conditions unless it is absolutely necessary to travel. All employees should contact their employer to see if they should report to work. Those traveling on the roadways may subject themselves to arrest."

I'm not keen on arrest. I also was not keen on trying to drive that street, from what I saw while shoveling. Driving home yesterday wasn't fun either, and I got home before much of the snow had come down. I already called my boss this morning to say that I'd be late, but now I've called to say I prefer losing a day's pay to getting arrested and/or stuck on the roads. He wasn't there--I hope he's not all day, though I think he can get voicemail from home--but the receptionist was, and when I inquired about the level 3 she said, "That's really your call. We're encouraging anyone to come in who can." However, I think this is because some of the work does require someone to be there every day; but my job is hardly essential, and even if I do have to take the day unpaid (I'm not sure whether we have one floating holiday a year or two) I'm going to enjoy a day home in the snow.

No comments: