Wednesday, February 07, 2007

On the efficacy of being awake

Well. The baby quilt is done (and described at exhausting length--and no, I didn't mean exhaustive--at the craft blog), after sucking the whole of last week down its maw. It ended at 4:30 AM Saturday morning, when I finished the final hand stitch, shook it to get some of the thread snips off, and crawled into bed, moaning slightly as I set the alarm for 9:15. The reason for that was that we had a bunch of business at the bank, and in order to get to the shower at noon we wanted to be at the bank by about 10. As it turned out, I didn't even get my not-quite-five hours of sleep because Edith called at 8:30 to ask if we could pick up the cake. I said okay, somewhat sleepily and somewhat crabbily because I'd been woken up after four hours of sleep, and she said, "You can nudge Eric and call me back with your decision." I hung up, then shouted at the phone, "What's the deal!? I already said yes!" and Eric laughed at me.

We got our bank business done (I have a money market account now) and picked up the cake and all was well. The party was nice, though bigger than what I personally would have preferred--bigger than Eric's sister ultimately preferred, too, I think. She said later that this was only family and close friends, and she figured she ought to get it all done at once rather than have two or three showers. Apparently her dining and living rooms were full of stuff when they got home Saturday. My bed was full of me when I got home that afternoon. She did like the quilt, and I have plans for the pattern, so it all turned out well.

Sunday was nice and relaxing until about an hour after we went to bed, when Eric woke me up and said, "I feel like I'm going to have a seizure." He had three in one day about eleven years ago, and has been on medication ever since, but still gets simple partial seizures (funny feeling in only one area of the body and no loss of consciousness) occasionally. So we called his sister (a nurse) and his mom and went to the local hospital (where his sister works). He never had the seizure, but they found out that his potassium levels were severely low. Between that (low potassium can cause muscle tremors) and his worry about having a seizure and yet another cold he's caught, we figure that explains things. Anyway, we got home around 5 AM Monday morning, and once again I got four hours of sleep in the morning and a nap in the afternoon. He went to the doctor yesterday and the doctor is going to add some medication to his routine, which should help and may even get rid of the simple partials, which would be, as Eric said, "Very weird--but I could get used to it."

No comments: