Wednesday, October 19, 2005

No severance pay for me.

TB postponed my performance review by a week. That's okay. It takes the pressure off him to try to be tactful (not that he ever felt much pressure to be so, I'm sure) and gives me a little more dignity going out--saying "I'd rather move to a different city without a job than work here" rather than "Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, guess I'll go eat worms." I sent an e-mail to HR Guy, who is now really ex-HR Guy but is still the best person I can think of for this purpose, to ask about the exact procedure for giving notice. The employee handbook says something about a Termination Checklist but doesn't actuallly provide it. So we'll see if he gets back to me.

1 comment:

Jade L Blackwater said...

All you need to do for the termination notice is provide a letter stating your name, your reason for terminating, your intended last day of work, and it is helpful if you mention something like, "allowing for two weeks' notice, my last day of work will be ddmmyy." You don't need to get personal about your reason for terminating... just put "moving to a new city."

If you want the check to be mailed somewhere different, it might be helpful to include, "please send the final check(s) to the following address: 123 suchandsuch toledo, OH"

The termination checklist is probably something for HR, including your final paycheck with vacation paid out, any closing notes about your benefits and 401(k), and a signed termination notice from your manager along with your final time cards.... possibly an exit interview. It'll be something like that. :)

Good luck dude! Change is good! OH YES!