Wednesday, July 06, 2005

A quilting/sewing geek moment. Don't mind me.

A walking foot rocks. (A walking foot, meaning a sewing machine attachment that pulls the top fabric along, whereas with the normal foot only the bottom is pulled.) It took me a while to find one, and then it took me a while to figure out how to install it, but by God it is the best thing since the seam ripper. I've been putting off finishing TST because the first couple of times I tried machine quilting the backing got all bunched and horrible, but with the walking foot both the backing and the top go all smooth and beautiful. This is not to say my machine quilting can't use work--this is only the second time I've tried it--but I'm not dreading the idea anymore. I never spent a better $25. (That was for the walking foot plus a darning foot, a 1/4" seam foot, and a cloth guide in a kit; Sears didn't sell them individually.)

Speaking of spending better money, I took a look at my credit card statement. It's got my digital camera on it (did I mention that my digital camera also rocks?), which accounts for a lot of it, and the rest is taken up in gifts (a little), gas, and then food and books in equal amounts. I really ought to lighten up on the book-buying. Which means I really ought to stay out of bookstores. I just need to pick up Half-Blood Prince on the 18th (since I prepurchased it for 46% off at Books & Co and won't be in town that weekend) and then I will. For, um, some amount of time. I've been much better about staying away from fabric purchases--but now that TST has a chance of being finished before next Christmas, the chances of that continuing are getting smaller.

No comments: