Monday, September 12, 2005

House and home

I have an offer on my house. Since the house has only been on the market a few days, I'm a bit unwilling to bend to these people's wishes. The Agent says it's a good offer, but I've got the vague, unsubstantiated feeling that he's not concerned about me, just about pulling in his commission as quickly as possible. (Though the offer asks for closing in November, so it wouldn't be that quick.) I'll be asking him more about it tomorrow--he called at 9 PM tonight to tell me. I also had two other sets of people look at the house today--the offer is from the ones who saw it Sunday, and incidentally their realtor forgot to lock my front door behind her--so I'm kind of hoping one of them calls tomorrow with a better offer. I liked the last group of people best, but I suppose all I really ought to care about is their money.

The gem show was fun. There were displays on unusual rocks and how to cut gems and a real-life garden with various specimens in it; and then in the ballroom beyond there were the vendors. The vendors had fossils, mineral specimens, balls of pyrite, crystal wands, loose gemstones, artist demonstrations, everything. It was wonderful. We had an especially good time talking to one vendor who really loved her stones and was overjoyed to be talking to people who knew enough to properly appreciate them--specifically, Eric and Edith. I admitted I knew hardly anything about them and she was still quite nice to me, but it was clear that I was no longer an object of interest. I didn't mind. In another few years I'll be able to talk with her.

I'm currently trying to apply to three different job ads from Sunday's (Toledo) newspaper. I should be going to bed, but I don't want to put this off. I don't know why it's taking so long. It's kind of amusing to have to print a resume out again, though; I haven't done that in a long time. I've also just ordered some yarn from Knitpicks, some for a present and a ball of sock yarn to mess around with glove designs, because I can't let the idea of custom-made four-fingered gloves alone even though Gabe is not going to need them for another four years at least.

The lawn mowers didn't come Friday. I got home Sunday and the lawn was still ragged and tall. The message on the phone said, "We're running late, but we'll get to you by Saturday, or Sunday at the latest." Tonight when I got home the front was cut except for the long weeds in the extra parking space but the back wasn't. I called and he said, "Well, your grass was pretty long, and one of the mowers broke." He said they would be out again tomorrow. Oh, and Brandon (really Guy, I imagine) left another note in my mailbox. Not a chance. I'll be selling the house soon and I won't need to worry about it. I mean to finish cleaning the basement floor (at this point the paint is coming off better with a putty knife than with the Goo-Be-Gone) and get rid of the branches in my driveway and cut down those weeds in the extra parking space this week, but maybe if I take that offer I won't have to. I'm much too lazy to own a home.

No comments: